wilderness survival skills (2 Days)
Cost: $265 per person. 8 person max. 2 person minimum to run course
Dates: July 22-23(FULL), September 23-24(1 spot left), October 28-29, November 18-19
Location: Los Coyotes Indian Reservation, San Diego, California Address: 2300 Camino San Ignacio, Warner Springs, CA 92086. We meet at the guard hut located at the main entrance gate at 9am. We finish around 4pm (on day 2). Do you have a transport problem? Contact us about our free shuttle service from San Diego.
This California wilderness survival course has a "no nonsense" style curriculum, designed to teach you the most effective life-saving skills required to survive in the wilderness or as we call it the "bush". You will learn how to take care of your survival essentials: shelter, fire, water, food, signalling, basic First-Aid and bushcraft techniques. All learning is hands-on and this course will change your confidence drastically if you should face an outdoor emergency. The course location is at 5,000 feet of elevation in temperate forest and meadows therefore comfortable temperatures all year! For those who want 3 meals a day and the comfort of modern camping gear, then this is the survival course for you. This wilderness course keeps a moderate training pace focusing heavily on the survival and bushcraft skills and not on covering ground, therefore hiking is kept to a minimum. No previous outdoor experience required, families with kids welcome!
Regardless of your experience level, you will walk away prepared with the knowledge and skill set to handle yourself confidently in a survival situation and be more self sufficient in the woods or wilderness.
Not sure what to expect on this course? Watch a short video of us in the field!
Survival Course Details:
- The Psychological and Physiological Effects of Being in a Survival Situation
- Essential wilderness first aid techniques
- Emergency shelter building
- Water Sourcing and Purification
- Fire - learn the bow drill friction fire method. Ferrocerium and magnesium fire starters. Find and process plant based tinders. homemade tinders. Make natural char for spark ignition. Fire building technique
- knife skills and safety
- Introduction to basic local Edible, Useful, and Medicinal Plants
- Foraging for food: Insects, amphibians, reptiles, and other small game
- Emergency Signaling
What to Bring:
On this course we drive into our bush survival camp, therefore you have no restrictions on the type of gear you bring however I would advise packing no more than what you can carry. If you own a 4x4 vehicle then you have the option to bring it along and get some dirt time, if not then we will give you a ride! read or Q&A page for more info
- Fixed blade knife
- folding saw or a Swiss army multi-tool knife with the saw feature is optional but very useful
- Water bottle
- Headlamp and gloves
- Warm clothing layers and hat for time of year
- Day Pack
- Camping gear: If you prefer to go minimalist then bring a tarp / hammock / or simply sleep out in the open. Instructors only use a foam mat or hammock, sleeping bag, and Gore-Tex bivy and always sleep in the open apart from when it rains. You can bring whatever camping gear you feel comfortable with.
- Food - MRE / dehydrated food packs / bars are good choices for your dinner and second day lunch meals...bring a packed lunch for the first day. We provide coffee, breakfast, and drinking water
- Any other survival/camping items you desire
Payment required in full to secure dates and availability. Refund of fees are available if notified more than 5 days in advance of course start date. There will be a 3% fee withheld from refund to cover payment/transfer costs. If you cancel within 5 days of scheduled date of training no refund will be provided, however we can provide you with a credit applicable for the same course at a different date. Due to minimum class size requirements we might need to cancel a course, if so we will provide a full refund or offer an alternative course date.